Duplex is entirely safe and is used to detect narrowing or blockages within the arteries or other abnormalities of the arteries that may affect blood flow through the leg. A Duplex will give your Surgeon the information they need to appropriately plan your treatment. The test is painless and does not use any radiation or needles.
What will Happen?
- You may eat and drink as usual prior to the test and you do not need to remove your hearing aid or glasses.
- You will most likely be asked to sit on the edge of the bed or in a chair.
- Although most clothes can be kept on, we will need to have access to your neck, collarbone, shoulder, arm and hand.
- A water-based gel, which may feel cold, and a probe will be placed onto your skin.
- Images will appear on the screen of your blood vessels, similar to the picture above. You may hear some noises from the machine but this is perfectly routine.
- A clinical vascular scientist (who might be male or female) will perform and interpret your ultrasound scan.
- After the scan is complete, you will have your blood pressure taken in both arms. Depending on the reason for your scan you may also have a test for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.